Sunday, August 12, 2007

Diabetes here we come...pitstop at denial

Tuesday morning...I have a meeting in Boston, but Tom makes the appointment for TJ to see the pediatrician. Like every good working mother, I leave my phone on during my meeting, even though I am secretly still thinking there is NO WAY TJ has diabetes, and we will be laughing about our over-parenting soon.

Instead my phone rings half way through the meeting. Tom has collected information from the pediatrician in the most manly way. "The Dr. thinks TJ has diabetes, we are going to Children's, we will have to stay for a while." He literally has NO more information. UGH.

Even as we wait for hours in the emergency room, we have no answers. Our pediatrician didn't make a definitive diagnosis (at least, not that Tom can remember), and everyone at Children's is saying we will get more information "when we get upstairs." Even as they started talking about his 'first dose of insulin' I was not realizing that we were talking injections, every day, forever.

No comments: